(CNN) — For the Tucci household, a feast is just not full with out one Italian staple. Zeppole are deep-fried doughnuts that Stanley Tucci calls “addictively scrumptious.”
The beloved zeppole stole the present.
Just like beignets however denser, these delectable morsels, which might be served as a savory appetizer or a candy dessert alongside espresso, have at all times been a household hit.
Italians typically serve puffy and golden zeppole with a beneficiant dusting of powdered sugar, however the Tucci household prefers a savory model, incorporating anchovies inside the dough.
These Italian doughnuts have all kinds of variations: You may stuff them with salami and sprinkle with salt, or for a candy model, fill them with cream, together with hazelnut, chocolate or lemon, and canopy in honey and chopped pistachios. Tucci has experimented with completely different toppings, together with sautéed peppers and goat cheese, served alongside a inexperienced salad and beer.
Even the form and dimension of this finger meals varies from recipe to recipe.
Throughout the web, there’s one consensus: They’re finest freshly fried. However as most Italians will let you know, you will gobble these Italian doughnuts up earlier than they’ll cool.
This household recipe requires frying in vegetable oil, however for a extra conventional preparation, you need to use olive oil. Search for 00 flour, which is finely floor Italian wheat flour, at on-line baking or Italian specialty shops.
¾ kilogram | 5 ¼ cups yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
½ kilogram | 4 cups flour plus extra for floor, ideally kind 00
15 grams | ¾ tablespoon desk salt
12 ½ grams | 1 ½ tablespoons brewer’s yeast
60 milliliters | ¼ cup heat water
Oil-packed anchovies, drained, patted dry and diced, or diced salami (non-obligatory for savory)
Olive oil for frying
Powdered sugar or honey (non-obligatory for candy)
Potato masher or potato ricer
Deep fryer or giant pot
Deep-fry thermometer (non-obligatory)
After boiling the potatoes, you may load them in batches into the canister of a potato ricer. Or use a masher as an alternate.
1. Boil the potatoes in a big pot till they’re gentle, about 10 minutes. Drain and switch potatoes to a big bowl and mash them with a potato masher whereas they’re nonetheless heat. (If utilizing a potato ricer, load them in batches into the canister and extrude the potatoes into the bowl.) Mix ½ kilogram (or 4 cups) flour and salt with the mashed potatoes.
2. Dissolve the yeast in heat water to activate after which add it to the combination.
3. Knead the elements collectively within the bowl till the combination is a easy, dry dough.
Knead the combination in a bowl till it turns into a easy, dry dough. Let it relaxation till it doubles in quantity.
4. Cowl with a fabric and let the dough relaxation till it has doubled in quantity, about 3 hours.
5. When it has doubled in quantity, flip the dough over onto a floured work floor. With moist fingers, divide the dough into small items and kind doughnut-shaped rings which can be about ½-inch thick. You may modify the scale based mostly in your private desire.
For a savory model, add a few diced anchovy fillets or diced salami to the dough as you form it if desired.
6. Pour the oil into a big saucepan to succeed in a depth of 5 centimeters (or 2 inches) and warmth over medium warmth. To verify that the oil is sizzling sufficient, immerse a bit of dough; if it stays on the underside, it’s nonetheless chilly. If the dough involves the floor and fries, the oil is prepared. If the oil turns into darkish, then it’s too sizzling, and you’ll have to decrease the temperature by eradicating the saucepan from the warmth. (Alternatively, warmth oil till a deep-fry thermometer registers 149 levels Celsius or 300 levels Fahrenheit.)
Flip the doughnuts over midway via frying. They’re prepared when puffy and golden brown.
7. Fry the doughnuts in small batches, turning them over midway, till they’re puffy and golden brown, 4 to five minutes complete. With a slotted spoon, switch doughnuts to a plate layered with absorbent paper towel for a couple of seconds to take in the surplus oil. Change the oil midway via frying.
8. Serve sizzling. You may eat them plain or with toppings, if desired. For a candy model, add powdered sugar or honey to the nice and cozy zeppole.
This recipe is courtesy of the Ventra household (family of Tucci).